Image Map

Sunday 1 February 2015

January Wedding

Yesterday I attended a wedding. I'm going to be honest and say that it was probably the worst wedding I'd ever been to. The fact that it was in January was a huge factor to why it was so horrible, but the second biggest factor was the fact that it was my cousin's wedding and I had lost touch with him, his brother, and their parents (my Aunt and Uncle) over the past couple of years. I haven't spoken to any of them in close to 3 or 4 years. There are many reasons as to why I lost touch with them, but I was extremely surprised as to why they even invited me. After going to the wedding yesterday, I am still confused as to why they invited my Mom, sister and I. I should probably also mention that it was a shotgun wedding, and my cousin really should have had a wedding next year (they only got engaged two months or three prier to the wedding).

I really wasn't expecting much from this wedding, and I was most certainly right. The room that both the wedding ceremony and reception was in, was FREEZING. You'd think that with it being January, and minus degree weather, that they'd have the heat on? The ceremony was probably the strangest one I'd ever seen...it really didn't make any sense. I had absolutely no idea who anyone was there except for my two cousins, Aunt, Uncle and my Uncle's friend so it was very uncomfortable for the first two hours. There wasn't much food to choose from (it was a buffet), but I didn't mind it. Soon after having dinner, the bride and groom cut the cake; now, maybe I haven't been to a wedding in a long time but doesn't the cutting of the cake happen later in the evening? And the dancing/music happen sporadically throughout the evening? The wedding cake literally came right after dinner - I couldn't digest my dinner before soon enough they're shoving cake down your throat. There was no music throughout dinner or half of the evening for that matter, which was a complete bummer. I always look forward to the music at a wedding...what are they gonna play...am I going to be able to request a song? Nope. Music and dancing happened towards the end of the wedding when half the people started to leave to go home. Another thing that was extremely bothersome were these attendants or workers at the place; not long after eating and having coffee, drinks, ect...they were up at your table trying to take your glasses/cups away from you. Um, I'm sorry but I might still be using that glass....I didn't even get the chance to have a cup of coffee. Everything was so backwards and just way too rushed.

Towards the beginning of January, I asked my followers on Instagram to help me choose a dress to wear to this wedding. I got so much feedback from all my followers, it was awesome. A lot of them who choose their favorite dress out of the four, were saying either #2 or #4...I decided to go with #2. It was definitely the one I loved the most, and would feel more comfortable in (which I did).


Prior to the wedding, I set my hair in my usual foam roller set, two days before. Yesterday, when I took them out, I was really disappointed with the way my hair was coming out of the rollers, and then when I brushed it out, I really hated it. No matter what I did with it; it just wasn't working for me. I didn't think I'd be able to stand it for the rest of the evening. So last minute, my sister decided to put it up for me...and even after that I still wasn't sure it I liked the way it looked. 


I wanted to keep the look simple, elegant, classic.


I paired this look with gold accessories with red accents. Almost everything you see here, belonged to my great grandmother. My dress was hers, the long black gloves were hers, the bracelet that I am wearing was hers from the 30's, the gold purse was hers, and the brooch I'm wearing (which I apologize for not getting a better picture of; but it's a monkey with ruby's for eyes) was also her's. My shoes, as I've said before are from Wal-Mart. 


These aren't the best pictures, but this was my makeup and hair. I still wasn't happy with the way my hair turned out, but it was better than what it looked like before. To be honest, I'm not even sure why I worried about my hair so much when the majority of people that were there at the wedding barely did anything to make themselves look at least the slightest bit presentable. Do people not dress up for weddings anymore? Is it a thing of the past? You wonder how you can be related to some people. 

I am actually really sorry that I even bothered attending this wedding. I've never been really close with this side of my family - I'm much more closer to my family in the States. This wedding just showed me that my Canadian family really could care less about my side of the families well being. Although my Mum, sister and I stood out, out of the all the guests there, I felt invisible. It was quite upsetting. 

Oh, and did I mention the fact that my cousin (the groom), never once came up to my Mum, sister or myself to talk to either of us. Well, neither him nor his new wife came to say, "Thanks for coming!"...nothing. Not even a glance - no eye contact at all. I might be old fashioned, but I thought that it was etiquette at a wedding for the bride and groom to go up to your table and thank you for attending? I mean, we were sitting with his parents...and were in plain site....not to mention the fact that both him and his bride walked past our table (or us for that matter), several - numerous times. 

Goes to show that you can't pick your family. Thank God for my family in the States.

Sincerely, Miss. Voodoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog