Image Map

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Favorite Christmas Films

Out of every holiday, Christmas is the holiday where my Mom really likes to get into the spirit. She'll decorate the entire house from top to bottom. She thrives for baking just about the whole house around Christmas. She loves baking, and it gives her all the joy in the world. But for me, what gives me the most joy around this time, is the music and the films.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love decorating. It's so much fun decorating the tree every year. I do have to say that for me, the decorating is not as much fun as it use to be when I was younger. In my old house, Christmas was a lot more joyful and warm. My old childhood home would be have seven trees scattered around the house, decorating in full. My sister and I had our own tree upstairs between our bedrooms, their was one in our family room, one in our dining room, a small one going down the stairs to the basement, one in the kitchen, one in the front hall coming into the house, and then finally, we had our real pine tree (that our old dog every year would drink the water from) in our main living room which was the biggest room in the whole house. Yes, it was a lot, but it was so festive and fun. My Mom loved having parties, and people over around that time of year because she loved showing off all of her hard work - especially giving out her baking. She would make baskets and baskets full of goodies and then give them to friends and family. But, my parents separated and divorced, my Mom down sized, we had to move, it was a lot to take in, and Christmas was never the same. My mom got rid of all the trees (only kept one), and we really never decorated as much as we use to. These past two years, my Mom has been getting more involved with Christmas and it does make me happy to see her really getting into baking and decorating this time of year.
This is our tree, it's black and every year we put silver ornaments on it: it's stunning.
Enough of the sob story, and nostalgia. I do love Christmas, and love all of the hustle and bustle of this time, the snow falls, the bright lights. It's beautiful. What makes it beautiful for me is the music. There's something about the sounds of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Elvis Presley, and Bing Crosby around Christmas. I could sit and listen to them any time of the year, obviously, but the way they sing classic Christmas songs, just brings warmth to my heart.


If you have a festive feeling for some classic artists to listen to during your Christmas holiday, I very much so recommend these amazing singers.

Not only does the music get me into the spirit of Christmas, but with movies being a huge part of my life, there are many Christmas films that are a perfect way to get into the mood. Usually while I decorate the tree, I watch one of these films: The Ref, Surviving Christmas, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Although those are more classic Christmas films that more or less everyone watches, I do enjoy to watch old Hollywood classic films. There are movies that I like to just sit down, have a cup of coffee or hot cocoa, and watch the snow fall with; the inevitable It's a Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, Remember the Night, and my favorite, Christmas in Connecticut.   
I love Barbara Stanwyck, and especially in this movie she's a hoot. Her character is so witty, sweet, and the situations she gets herself in are insane. The story line of this movie is really cute and unique. As is the film, Remember the Night also with Barbara, is a fantastic film. Her character in that film is very different than her character in CIC. I like both of her characters because they are both on completely different sides of the spectrum, and you can tell the difference. 
Honestly, if you're a guy or doll, and love the pin up or vintage looks and have yet to watch any old Hollywood films, then I very much suggest you watch some. What better way to start than during the holidays!? These types of movies are everywhere around this time. Also, if you want to see more OH films then try watching the TV station 'TCM' (or Turner Classic's Movies), all they play are older films: from silent film to the great John Hughes classics. I feel that is important for every lover of vintage or 1950's styles, that you should know where it's coming from. Understand why you dress the way you want to dress. I admire so many golden age stars and they're who I get the majority if not all my inspiration from. Just do yourself a favor and try it out. I know of many people who think it's weird that I watch, or even enjoy to watch black and white films, but there's nothing like them. To be honest, they are the ones who are missing out on what real movies should be. The change from color to black and white can automatically change the way a picture is viewed. More films should be made in B&W...especially horror films - much more intense.
Who doesn't love a little Cary Grant around the holidays? And when he's an angel, even better! Another great Grant film is An Affair to Remember which more less is a Christmas film to me, and is a classic romantic film - perfect for a couple to cuddle up and watch together. And of course, the film everyone knows (and if you don't have you been living under a rock? Or?) It's a Wonderful Life with James Stewart and Donna Reed. This is a really cute and meaningful film to watch during the holidays. It shows you that even the smallest thing, that you may think is the biggest thing, is really something that you should be thankful for. It's a Wonderful Life is truly a great film. I love Jimmy, and in this film he really shows his immense talent. I don't want to go into great detail with this, but it's one of those films that one needs to watch during Christmas. 
The fact that films were so simple and innocent back then, makes these a great watch for the entire family to sit down and enjoy. What better to watch a classic holiday film with than some hot cocoa?
I'm sure there are some classic films I'am missing, and should be mentioning but I these are the ones I watch the most of around the holidays! 
As one of my favorite actresses, Ginger Rogers said, "Perhaps I am old-fashioned, but black and white films still hold an affectionate place in my heart; they have an incomparable mystique and mood."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog