Image Map

Friday 10 April 2015

My 2015 Year: Fashion Inspirations


Every year, something or someone inspires me in what I wear. In this post, I wanted to share some various genres, or just generally my inspirations that I'll be interpreting in my style this year. Like I've said before, I get all my fashion information or inspiration from the movies that I watch. Various films from the 1930's to the 1960's are where I get my muse for fashion. Now, particularly so far this year, I've been obsessed with the whole cowboy/western 1950's genre, and the 40's/50's Spanish/Mexican style of fashion. I'm going to share these favorites of mine in order of seasons. For myself, my inspirations span from seasons and how I may feel during each one. It's hard for me to have any inspiration during the cold winter weather. But for Spring this year, here are my inspirational genres: 


Giddy up, Cowboy!: For Spring this year, my inspiration is definitely that 1950's Western style. There are so many unique and beautiful reproduction cowboy inspired shirts, jeans, boots, vests and jewelry out there, and just seeing all of it, makes me so inspired. I've always had an interest for the 1950's westerns, as my grandfather was a huge western's fan! Another beautiful thing about this Cowboy look, is that, it's simple. It's casual, yet, stylish? I see so many lovely ladies who can rock a good pair of re-pro denim jeans, and good looking western styled t-shirt. With the right hair style, right leather belt, moccasins/boots, and a whack of bakelite on one wrist (if not both wrists) - you're good to go! I'm just so in love with this look! 

{Marilyn in River of No Return - perfectly simple outfit}


{This unknown cowgirl is really rockin' this ensemble}


{Marilyn in The Misfits. She is always a good inspiration in fashion}


{Marilyn looks fabulous in everything}


{A little Gil Elvgren painting for inspiration}

How about some of these luscious re-pro vintage style tee's from two awesome clothing brands: 

This adorable vintage cowgirl tee is available at Atomic Swag (click photo to be directed to website). I have yet to purchase a shirt from this awesome brand, but I know I'll be doing so in the very near future - I may want to buy every shirt, so I'm having difficulty choosing which one I want first and fore most!

This rad vintage styled tee is from a clothing brand called Dressed to Kill Clothing. Again, I've been lusting after this shirt for some time now, and will also be purchasing this one in the near future, for sure!
Click photo to be directed to website.

Another great brand that specializes in re-pro vintage styled denim jeans, is a company called Freddies of Pinewood. Again, I have yet to purchase anything from this company, but will most definitely need to in the near future. 


Down in Mexico: As well for Spring, I'm inspired by the style of traditional Mexican/Spanish/Brazilian/Italian fashion that is also more or less a popular style culture in pinup and rockabilly fashion. I see it as much as I see the whole Western style. What I like most about this style genre is, well - everything. The peasant tops, long skirts, big skirts, designs/patterns, jewelry, black lace over cream - maybe just white lace in general, the scarves, the big flowers in the hair, hair styles...I could go on. Everything about this style just has my full attention. I see this style in tons of old Hollywood films from over the years, and just recently I've been thinking to myself. "Girl, you need to start channeling some of those fabulous looks." 


{I adore Rita Hayworth's look here. The peasant top, long jewelry, and her hair. Just fabulous}


{Okay, so Sophia Loren in the film The Pride and the Passion, has the cutest and simplest style. I adore her peasant tops, long full skirts, and her sash/scarf wrapped around her tiny waist}


{Uh, hello people, Carmen Miranda has the most incredible and unique style I've ever seen in the history of film}


{I love Rita's jewelry here, and lets be honest, when does Rita ever not look absolutely stunning? Never}


{Yvonne De Carlo looking gorgeous in this look}


{Is it strange that I have an utter most envy of this entire outfit on this girl in this illustration by Jon Whitcomb? Well, every time I look at this photo, and this girls entire ensemble...I cry and die a little inside}


Rock-A-Hula: For the Summer season this year, my inspiration is the Hawaiian/Tiki look. I see it as well, a lot in the pinup culture. The Hawaiian or Tiki style has taken us by storm - it's extremely popular. And I can understand why. The flower designs, patterns, and objects. It's another one of those awesome 1950's themed styles, I guess you could say.


{The beautiful Jeanne Crain}


{Debra Paget is always an inspiration for me}


I've also seen many new re-pro Hawaiian styled dresses, that are absolutely fabulous! My favorite pinup company, Pinup Girl Clothing actually has a line or collection that came out last year, and they had, and continue to have some really adorable dresses. Such as this beautiful Pele dress in black and pink Hawaiian floral by Laura Byrnes California. 


{Model is Angelique Noire. Click on photo to be directed to website}


Where the Boys Are: As well during the Summer, I'm always inspired by the whole 1960's beach scene. In the early 1960's, beach movies were extremely popular. Young girls, or young guys going down to Fort Lauderdale for Spring vacation in Where the Boys Are. Or a young girl falls in love with a surfer in Gidget. Beach Party, Clambake, A Summer Place, Palm Springs Weekend, and the list really goes on. 


{Jeanne Crain in this fabulous swimsuit}


{Paula Prentiss has the cutest 'beach' style in Where the Boys Are, but this photo basically sums it up}


{Yvette Mimieux also has the cutest 'beach' style}



{1960's Natalie Wood is my favorite Natalie Wood}


{The 'girls' in Where the Boys Are}

That's some of my fashion inspirations for the Spring/Summer seasons this year! My inspirations for my favorite season Autumn will be up later on in the year, so keep your eyes peeled!

Sincerely, Miss. Voodoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blog